ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION Service Employees International Union-United Healthcare Workers West (SEIU-UHW) is one of the largest unions of hospital workers in the western United States, with more than 80,000 members.
Our members are frontline caregivers, including respiratory care practitioners, dietary, environmental services and nursing staff who keep Californians healthy.
We live and work throughout California: from the Bay Area to Sacramento and Los Angeles to the Central Valley.
Our union of healthcare workers is driven to improve the healthcare system. Our mission is to provide quality care for all patients, expand access to excellent, affordable healthcare for all Californians and improve living standards for all workers.
The majority of SEIU-UHW members work in the state's largest private sector health systems' hospitals and clinics, including Kaiser Permanente, Dignity Health, Sutter Health, Tenet, Prime and Daughters of Charity.
The Controller plays a central role in the development, maintenance, direction and oversight of SEIU UHW finance and accounting activities. The Controller works independently and collaboratively with senior staff, union officers, financial and ethics officers, budget committee and executive board members. She/he has the primary responsibility for the efficient processing of financial transactions.
Controller will be charged with identifying new opportunities to improve efficiencies, eliminates backlogs, and respond proactively to other department's needs. S/he will need to analyze the existing processes and systems and work closely with the Operations and Finance Director and directors to streamline current systems, leverage new information technology, and establish standard operating procedures that provide maximum benefit to all parties involved. In addition, the Controller should have knowledge of contracting and GAAP. In addition, have mastery of ERP accounting software and high skills levels on Excel and relational databases.
Other responsibilities include: maintaining the general ledger(s), monitoring and supervising the processing of accounts payable and receivable, preparation of the LM2 report, other financial reports; oversaw compliance on political and other filings and audit preparation.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Coordinate the annual budget process and track actual performance against the annual budgets. Provide regular feedback and direction to senior staff, and officers regarding budgetary status.
- Prepare and submit annual LM2 report and other government filings and reports, including working with the audit firm that prepares Form 990 / 100 and state political filings.
- Manage relationships with external entities including banks, investment advisors, state registration, and insurance carriers.
- Reviews all contracts that have a financial impact on the organization and assures that management is well-aware of the financial implications of entering into those contracts.
- The controller must stay apprised of all the Local, State and Federal tax laws and business regulations that affect the organization and must ensure the organization operates within the proper parameters.
- Provides financial input to the organization's strategic planning process, assuring that a long-range financial plan is part of the strategic plan
- Enjoy mentoring executive and management team colleagues on financial and compliance matters. Interpersonal communication skills (verbal and written) are critical to this position.
- Must have the highest integrity, be diplomatic, analytical, and possess sound judgment.
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- A minimum of five years of or progressively responsible executive level experience that includes budgeting, financial forecasting, planning, organizing and managing multiple financial activities ideally with experience in a CPA, nonprofit or labor entity
- CPA or MBA will be a plus, should have a minimum of 3 years' experience in a comparable position with a nonprofit/Labor union that had annual revenues of at least $10 million.
- A strong understanding of finance and accounting practices. Experience in determining project feasibility and costing of services Be accurate, timely, detail oriented, maintain a high degree of confidentiality, and able to communicate effectively with employees at any level
- Mastery of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including thorough understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), internal controls and financial reporting.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in clearly communicating information about finances and accounting issues to non-accountants and individuals with varying levels of financial expertise
- Strong quantitative analysis capabilities, with the ability to read, analyze, interpret and explain complex financial data. Ability to work independently under general directives and as part of a team and to exercise good judgment to solve job related problems.
- Familiarity with specialized nonprofit / labor accounting practices, reporting requirements and procedures. Acumen in maintaining accurate financial records and preparing clear and accurate reports for informational, auditing, and operational use.
- Excellent punctuality and attendance. Ability to work under deadlines and accommodate last minute changes in priorities.
- Strong computer skills including Office suite, including use of vlook, array formulas and pivot tables, ERP applications (Solomon, Great Plains, People Soft,Financial Force, etc) and relational database applications
- Understanding and commitment to the mission of SEIU UHW.
- Ability to sit at a computer for extended periods.
- Able to lift up to ten pounds.
- Able to bend and stoop.
- Occasionally lift and/or move boxes with documents weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Work long and irregular hours including nights, weekends or holiday.
SALARY SEIU-UHW offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefit package.
EOE STATEMENT SEIU-UHW is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability.
This position is currently accepting applications.