About this role... .
As a Data Scientist within Research Data Services, you will be responsible for creating robust data models, advanced analytic procedures and efficient reporting frameworks in support of NWEA research initiatives. You will partner with internal business and research groups as well as key external stakeholders and will leverage other data and analytics team members to deliver insights and innovative methods of problem solving. In addition, you will work closely with the Director, Research Data Services and other Research staff members and will play a lead role in how data and analytics are used within NWEA Research.
Your next challenge...
Some of the key responsibilities will include:
* Apply statistical analysis on data sets: applying and interpreting statistical inference methodologies, regression models, cluster analysis, correlations, predictive variables, and other traditional statistical methods and data techniques to large datasets to identify meaningful trends and patterns across relevant NWEA data systems.
* Apply skills to the development of analytics, data extraction, statistical analysis, and designed experiments to answer some of the most important and compelling questions in preK-12 and postsecondary education
* Engage with NWEA partners - internal & external - to influence data literacy and data use.
* Use data visualization techniques in software such as D3, Tableau, or Power BI to create dashboards and interactive reports
* Develop and apply SQL data pulls to acquire and compile the necessary source data; develop and populate new data structures to support projects as required.
* Develop robust statistical models and machine learning to extract valid inferences about students learning from unstructured data
Traits for success...
* Ability to apply appropriate empirical research methods to answer difficult data issues
* Demonstrate excellent problem-solving skills with the ability to quickly learn new concepts and methodologies as needed
* Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff members and NWEA partners
* Advanced knowledge of SQL and other databases.
* Advanced knowledge of Data analysis and statistical modeling in SPSS, R, Stata, or SAS.
* Knowledgeable in statistics, research methods, and quantitative and qualitative research standards
Education and experience...
* Master's Degree in a quantitative field of research, data analytics, mathematics, research science, or a related field.
* 5 - 7 years of previous analytics experience, with three (3) years of professional experience in a research area focused or related to assessment.
* Advanced experience working with SQL and related databases
* Advanced experience working with data analysis, statistical modeling in SPSS, R, Stata or SAS
About the Research Data Services Team... .
Composed of seven professionals focused in the fields of software development, data science and analysis, and database engineering, the Research Data Services team manages a substantial longitudinal database, runs test validation, executes and delivers large scale data sets, and oversees the recruitment for research studies (with universities such as Harvard, Stanford, and Notre Dame).
As part of the greater NWEA Research group, we help kids learn by supporting and protecting product quality, effectively addressing partner needs, innovating, and conducting original research to strengthen teaching and learning. By doing so, we support NWEA's mission, that is simple but vast: Partnering to help all kids learn®. We help kids get what they need in the classroom, so they can pursue their passions, shape their future, and realize their potential
NWEA™ is a research-based, not-for-profit organization that supports students and educators worldwide by creating assessment solutions that precisely measure growth and proficiency-and provide insights to help tailor instruction. For 40 years, NWEA has developed innovative Pre-K-12 assessments, including our flagship interim assessment, MAP® Growth™; our progress monitoring and skills mastery tool, MAP® Skills™; and the OECD Test for Schools (based on PISA). Educators trust our professional learning offerings to accelerate student learning and our research to support assessment validity and data interpretation. Our tools are trusted by educators in 140 countries and more than half the schools in the U.S.
What we can offer you... .
At NWEA we not only offer competitive pay, a 15% contribution of eligible employees' base salary to a defined contribution 403(b) retirement savings plan, career development opportunities and an awesome culture, we also offer industry leading benefits and perks that are focused on supporting our employees' holistic wellbeing. To learn more about what we can offer more, click here. Connect with us... ...
NWEA™ endeavors to make www.nwea.org accessible to all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please call us at (503) 624-1951 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request, your location and your contact information. This is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
NWEA™ is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For our EEO Policy Statement, please visit our website.
If you'd like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please visit the following EEOC website.