This role is a prominent position of leadership and is responsible for accurate and timely execution of financial closes, associated financial reporting and variance analysis, compliance with accounting policies and procedures, balance sheet review and forecasting, cash flow analysis, acquisition integration, and special projects. This role will influence, interact and work closely with peers and domestically and internationally to maximize efficient and effective delivery of accounting processes. This position leads and develops team members and also strongly influences and drives individual and collective performance across the US Accounting Services group. This role effectively translates detailed accounting and business information into concise, value-added insight usable by senior leadership. A proven track record of successful collaboration with organizational leadership in accounting, decision support, financial reporting and operations, and within the business is key. Some participation in annual budgeting and re-forecasting is expected. Must possess the ability to influence organizational leadership, support execution of strategy, monitor trends, identify financial drivers, develop people and improve processes.
- Execute monthly record-to-report processes specifically accurate and timely financial reporting and analysis
- Understands and implements practical application of technical accounting guidance and new accounting standards including GAAP, IFRS, Tax, Statutory, etc.
- Responsible for creation and implementation of and adherence to accounting policies and procedures including instructing teams and maintaining staff and institutional knowledge that sustains a clear balance sheet position and associated control activities.
- Support and manage external and internal audit demands and deliverables and RELX (corporate parent) requirements and initiatives as necessary.
- Fosters, leads and monitors an environment of continuous process improvement identifying, championing and driving needed changes and monitoring and refining actionable metrics across US Accounting Services.
- Proven record of developing and advancing direct reports, increasing employee engagement and spurring productivity by coaching and motivating team members to see opportunities, take initiative, improve processes, add expertise and expand bandwidth.
- Effectively communicates department vision and is a key leader in accomplishing department’s strategic plans and goals.
- Highly efficient and effective at delegation, tactical decision making and problem solving.
- Strong technical knowledge of accounting policies and procedures, their application at all levels
- Strong understanding of high-level and detailed financial analysis and when to use each.
- Consistently challenges the status quo, drives change and quickly adapts and/or shifts priorities appropriately when required.
- 7+ years of experience with a minimum of 2 years of management experience
- BA/BS Accounting/Finance
- Master level education (MBA) or equivalent experience; certification (CMA, CFA, or CPA)
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Experience in financial closes, balance sheet review and analysis, acquisitions and integrations, as well as some budgeting, planning and forecasting
- Strong understanding of accounting systems in a multi-layered, international business