Senior Electronics Engineer at BioLite
BioLite is looking for an experienced senior engineer to join us in developing our next generation of clean energy solutions for both outdoor recreation and emerging markets. In this position you'll play a crucial role in developing a range of exciting new products with potential for massive global health and environmental impacts.
BioLite is a for-profit social enterprise that develops, manufactures and markets distributed energy solutions for off-grid communities around the world. Our business serves two distinct markets: emerging-market families living in energy poverty, and outdoor enthusiasts seeking fuel-independent cooking and electricity.
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-moving startup with both a technical and creative environment in the heart of Brooklyn. If you are looking to work with an agile and ambitious product development group with a passion for the outdoors and a powerful social mission, we’re your company. As an engineer at BioLite you’ll solve challenging and interesting problems, work with an exceptional team, take ideas from concept through to large-scale production, and make a real positive impact on things that matter.
- Electronics and Firmware Development – Design, develop, prototype and test new embedded electronics and firmware. Designs must deliver high levels of functionality and reliability in extremely price-sensitive markets. Key areas of functionality include low- and medium-voltage DC-DC power conversion, user interfaces, sensing and signal processing, data gathering and storage, and communication.
- Design for Manufacturing – Deliver production-ready design artwork and Bills of Materials, and production line programming, calibration and testing infrastructure. Travel to, manage and liaise with vendors and manufacturing partners.
- Management, Strategy and Communication – Plan and execute across multiple projects and development cycles. Track key deliverables and milestones. Coordinate and collaborate closely with technical and non-technical colleagues across the product group and the wider company. Help shape the strategic direction of product pipelines, technology and design development.
- Technical Leadership, Mentoring and Systems Building – Support, consult with, train and mentor other team members in technical design, analysis and systems thinking. Create and improve systems, processes and best practices within the electrical team and beyond.
- 5+ years’ experience in electrical engineering, firmware or software development, or related discipline
- Strong mathematical and basic engineering foundation
- Demonstrated ability to manage and execute interdisciplinary projects
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and learn quickly
- Enthusiasm for both challenging hands-on engineering, and management, strategy and leadership
- Enthusiasm for new technology, design, and innovation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-managing and motivated; experience in a start-up environment a plus
- Deep expertise in hardware, firmware or software development, plus familiarity with adjacent disciplines
- Experience with power electronics, control systems, embedded systems preferred
- Experience with high-volume consumer products preferred
- Familiarity with EDA/ECAD software preferred
- Familiarity with firmware development in C preferred