The State Government Affairs Lead is accountable for building a strong Spark presence within state governments, public payers and regulatory agencies in the 50 states and territories. Reporting to the Head of Government Affairs, the State Government Affairs Lead will develop and execute state level government affairs strategies to advance Spark’s interests. The position will be responsible for monitoring, managing and engaging on all relevant state issues, and developing relationships with regulatory and advocacy agencies in relevant states.
The State Government Affairs Lead will manage external consultants and state retained counsels in specific states, working with the Spark US Market Access team.
Corporate objectives will be achieved by delivering results through state legislation, initiatives and health care financing to achieve corporate goals. Areas of responsibility include impacting state legislation, appropriations and budgets, and regulatory oversight related to vision loss.
- Responsible for developing and executing state level government affairs strategies within state governments, public payers and regulatory agencies
- Appears and advocates Spark interests before legislative bodies or regulatory agencies as necessary and appropriate.
- Represents Spark to national and state-based organizations as required, including trade associations.
- Establish and maintain strategic relationships with key policymakers at the state level.
- Identify and effectively supervise team of state retained counsels and external consultants to ensure alignment on goals and objectives, and effective coordination and communication for state government advocacy.
- Compliance with all Federal and Local laws and regulations around transparency, the Sunshine Act and lobbying registration.
- Work closely with U.S. Market Access to identify opportunities for and threats to patient access for Spark marketed products.
- Knowledge and understanding of issues affecting the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries, Medicare & Medicaid policy and general health care policy
- Strong understanding of pricing, reimbursement, drug review and approval process and other relevant regulatory issues
- Strong understanding of public and private payer initiatives affecting reimbursement of pharmaceutical and biotechnology products.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently as a self-motivator as well as in a matrix organization.
- Requires strong interpersonal, communication and networking skills.
- High integrity
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple, high priority projects with a keen attention to detail
- Professional demeanor; team player; ability to interface productively with internal/external parties
- Meaningful prior exposure to pharmaceutical or biotech industry
- Hands-on; energetic and motivated self-starter
- Proficient in MS Office products
- BS or BA required; MBA, MPH, JD or other advanced degree preferred
- Generally has 10+ years of relevant experience in government affairs, legislative, public health policy or advocacy; with 3-5 years of state-level experience with a proven track record of leadership across multi-disciplinary teams
- Firm understanding of the state public health sectors, especially Medicaid.
- Candidate must be able to register as a lobbyist for the states of responsibility as required
- Demonstrated ability to impact decision making within state level agencies and legislative bodies
WHO WE ARE:
Transforming Patient’s Lives. Spark Therapeutics is a pioneering gene therapy leader transforming the lives of patients suffering from debilitating genetic diseases by developing one-time, life-altering treatments. We are embarking on our goal to deliver the first approved gene therapy product in the US for genetic blinding conditions and have a product pipeline addressing other unmet rare genetic diseases. We have an entrepreneurial culture and are looking for talented and passionate professionals who are committed and motivated to making a difference in the lives of our patients. If you share our passion for excellence and are looking for a dynamic work environment that fosters creativity, scientific innovation and team collaboration, you may be a great fit for our team.